Architectures You've Always Wondered About showcases real-world examples of companies pushing the limits of modern software systems. In these practitioner-focused talks, we discuss complex problems faced by some of the most well known companies in software. The challenges range from delivery speed to massive scale and from dizzying complexity to simple ingenuity.
The track features:
- AWS: AWS Lambda is synonymous with serverless compute. This talk discusses the architecture of AWS Lambda from one of their system principals.
- Cloudflare: Roughly 20% of all internet traffic runs through cloud-flare content and delivery infrastructure. In this talk, we’ll look at how Cloudflare thinks about edge compute and some of their strategies for dealing with relational data.
- NIST: 800-207A is all about Zero Trust Architecture (ZTA) and the principles it's laid out on. In this presentation, we hear from one of the founding engineers of Tetrate and member of the original core Istio team discussing practical implementation details of ZTA.
- Netflix: With 220 million memberships, Netflix manages a large-scale distributed system. In this talk, Netflix shares how they manage their system, architecture bets, technology choices, and operational semantics in their membership platform.
- Pinterest: Dive into the dynamic world of social media advertising and see how Pinterest builds their Ad Serving/Ranking infrastructure and hear about the journey from linear regression to deep learning models.
In this track, you learn what it takes to operate modern, high scale systems from the engineers and leaders building them. This is a practitioner track where you will take away architectural patterns/anti-patterns, challenges, and hard-earned lessons from some of the world’s most recognizable software shops.
The Architectures You’ve Always Wondered About track at QCon is one of the marque tracks at the conference. It’s one you don't want to miss!
From this track
AWS Lambda Under the Hood
Monday Oct 2 / 10:35AM PDT
AWS Lambda is a serverless compute service running at a massive scale! Supporting packages of up to 10GiB while allowing over 15K new containers per second (for a single customer) and serving millions of TPS across millions of unique workflows is a challenging problem.
Senior Principal Engineer @AWS Lambda
Relational Data at the Edge
Monday Oct 2 / 11:45AM PDT
Data storage and access at the edge delivers massive performance gains by reducing location-sensitive latency.
Software Engineer Intern - iCloud Edge @Apple, Previously @Cloudflare
Engineering Manager @Cloudflare, Contributor to Postgres, Previously at Ticketmaster
NIST 800-207A: Implementing Zero Trust Architecture
Monday Oct 2 / 01:35PM PDT
Zero Trust is all about replacing implicit trust based on perimeter security and network access with explicit trust based on identity and runtime authorization.
Founding Engineer @Tetrateio & NIST co-author on security, prev core services @GoogleCloud
Managing 238M Memberships at Netflix
Monday Oct 2 / 02:45PM PDT
Have you ever wondered what goes on behind the scenes when you sit back, relax and watch Netflix? How does Netflix own and operate their system of record for all members making sure they continue to be in good standing and get the best experience possible?
Senior Software Engineer @Netflix
Unconference: Architectures You've Always Wondered About
Monday Oct 2 / 03:55PM PDT
What is an unconference? An unconference is a participant-driven meeting. Attendees come together, bringing their challenges and relying on the experience and know-how of their peers for solutions.
Unpacking how Ads Ranking Works @Pinterest
Monday Oct 2 / 05:05PM PDT
In this session, we delve into the dynamic world of social media advertising. Facebook, Snap, Pinterest, Twitter, and many others generate the majority of their revenue from targeted ads.
Senior Machine Learning Engineer @Pinterest, Focusing on Privacy Safe Recommender Systems, IIT Kanpur Alumnus
QCon San Francisco 2023
October 2 - 6, 2023